Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

A Really Interesting Perspective

Twitter introduced me to this blogger, Marginal Revolution, and a recent blog post really got me thinking.

In his post, Cowen suggests that while creativity in the classroom is often stifled by teachers, there could be hope in the trend of personalized learning through resources like the Kahn Academy.

Which begs the following question: is online, personalized learning one of the directions that American education could be headed? And if so, what will the role of classroom teachers be in this new educational setting?

People tell me, in the way of career advice, "Oh CW, we always need good teachers." But I have to wonder, will that truly be the case much longer?

Pondering,
--CW

2 comments:

  1. You raise a good point. After a long career in the NYPD, my dad retired and took a job as a high school teacher, teaching criminal justice, history, and other social studies. He's now an assistant principal, but we still talk about education and where thats all heading.

    I've heard of the Kahn Academy, but I've never watched any of them. The concept of the internet playing too big a role in our lives worries me.

    The best part about personal education with someone in real life is that you have access to a huge chunk of knowledge. You can ask questions, and communicate your concerns better. This is especially true in college.

    I hope education will still continue to be something that commonly happens in real life, however, I'm not sure it will stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The greatest part about private knowledge through a individual in actual existence is that you have got access to a huge amount of knowledge. To inquire, and also also communicate your own concerns better. This really is especially real in college.

    CPAP

    ReplyDelete